- Mac OS 10.11
Steps causing the bug to occur:
1. HW: Mac Pro Late 2013
SW: OSX 10.11.2 (stable), Vuo 1.1.1, Soundflower 2.0b2, Linein 2.3.0, VDMX5 b0.8.5.0.4,
Physical audio input devices: EDIROL FA-66 (0370) (via FireWire800 to Thunderbolt adapter, actively powered), Logitech USB Headset H340
2. Open Vuo
3. Open "Show Live Audio Waveform" example
4. Change example:
- Prepend "Get Item from List" to existing "Receive Live Audio" node
- Prepend "List Audio Devices" to "Get Item from List" node
- Add "Fire on Start" to "List Audio Devices"
(Optional) Append "Get audio Input Values : Name" -> "Make Text Layer" -> "Render Layers to Window" to "Get Item From List" in order to see which audio device is visualised in separate window.
5. Start firing the sketch and change "Which" parameter for "Get Item from List" (iterate through all input devices).
6. Note that none of the real audio input devices produces results. Audio devices are listed correctly as the "text on screen" rendering shows, however no waveform is generated.
7. Waveform (straight line as no imput yet is feeded) is generated only for Soundflower channels.
8. Open Linein app and redirect any of the physical inputs to Soundflower (2ch) or Soundflower (64ch)
9. Vuo produces waveform on both Soundflower (2ch) and Soundflower (64ch) channels
10. Turn off audio redirect in Linein app
11. Open any other app, that can receive and analyse audio
12. I am choosing VDMX, just adding Audio Analysis plugin and switching Input Device in inspector.
13. Note that all inputs work and can be realtime analysed.
14. Uninstall Soundflower and restart the computer
15. Open Vuo
16. Open "Show Live Audio Waveform" example
17. Start firing the sketch and change "Which" parameter for "Get Item from List" (as described above)
18. Note that none of the real audio input devices produces results (even with Soundflower removed)
19. Open VDMX, add Audio Analysis plugin and switch Input Device in inspector.
20. Note that all inputs work and can be realtime analysed.
How did the result differ from what you expected?:
Vuo cannot read audio from physical audio input devices, it is unusable for real time audio driven visuals.
Have you found a workaround?:
No. Receiving sound via Soudflower is not a workaround. Soundflower is invaluable tool, however Vou should read audio from live devices.
It is expected that "Show Live Audio Waveform" example works. If OSX needs some specific setup that I have not found in the documentation, pardon for my ignorance (and please point to the hack).