OK, here's the situation. I currently have an Early 2011 17" MacBook Pro for running VUO... it's been experiencing a few strange power/heating related issues ever since a motherboard replacement 1.5 years ago and I can no longer trust it for live events... so I'm looking to upgrade. I am currently looking at the following systems as possible replacements.
- iMac 2015 (i7 6700K - 4.0GHz, 16GB, AMD R9 M395X 4GB)
- Mac Pro 2013 (Xeon E5-1620 - 4-Core 3.7GHz, 16GB, AMD D500 FirePro 3GB (x2))
- Mac Pro 2013 (Xeon E5-1650 - 6-Core 3.5GHz, 16GB, AMD D500 FirePro 3GB (x2))
- MacBook Pro 2016 (i7 6920HQ - 2.9GHz 3.8GHz, 16GB, AMD Radeon Pro 460 4GB)
Currently I am connecting the following to the system:
- Logitech C910 Webcam (Datamatrix Barcode Reader)
- Blackmagic Ultra Studio Mini Recorder (SDI/HDMI 1080p video input)
- Dual 1080p Projectors (2x miniDisplayPort to HDMI adaptors) 3360x1080 Resolution
- 1080p Monitor (miniDisplayPort to DisplayPort)
- iPad 3 as touchscreen monitor via Duet App
(Attached is my intended monitor arrangement)
To help me make a good purchasing decision I am looking for opinions and insight on how VUO benefits from GPU performance, Single-Core performance vs Multi-Core count. My composition is highly graphical, with live video and images overlaid in multiple layers but is also performing tasks like decoding barcodes, on the fly calculations and soon XML access I hope.