Vuo 2 is looking more and more promising, thanks for all the hard work!
As a test this afternoon I ported a screensaver I'd made in Quartz Composer earlier this year (reling very heavily on the GLSL patch at the time). Using the Make Image with ShaderToy node, I was able to port it to Vuo surprisingly easily. I lost all of my custom shader inputs, of course, which had to be hardcoded into the shader, and it couldn't load more than 4 images, but it did...work. I was able to make things a little more efficient while I was at it, which was nice. And on top of that, I was then able to (with the help of Chrome Console to load custom images) get it running on ShaderToy too!
However...full screen performance in Vuo, and performance of the packaged screensaver, is unusable. I'm using the same 4k textures across all platforms, and since the code really is the same in ShaderToy as it is in Vuo, I'm not sure what the problem could be.
- The Quartz composition runs great in full screen (multiple monitors, 60fps confirmed)
- Chrome runs great in full screen (~60fps)
- Running it in a Vuo window appears to be fine (~60fps)
- Running in full screen isn't great (~30fps with frequent frame drops and stuttering)
- Exporting as a screen saver is worse (not sure, but <20fps with lots of frame drops and stuttering).
Is this a known issue? Has anyone else tested performance between Quartz Composer GLSL, Vuo, and ShaderToy, especially in fullscreen and/or as a screensaver?
Asking here before I file a bug report. :)