Vuo supports several movie container formats, a wide variety of video codecs, and a few audio codecs.
First, decide how you'd like to use the movie:
- If you'd just like to play the movie from beginning to end, without seeking or changing the playback rate, use the QuickTime container with H.264 video and Apple Lossless audio.
- If you'd like to efficiently seek through the movie, use the QuickTime container with Photo JPEG video and Apple Lossless audio.
- If you'd like to play the movie at different speeds (or backwards), use the QuickTime container with Photo JPEG video and no audio (as of Vuo 0.9, Vuo only supports playing audio at normal, forward playback rate).
Then, convert the movie into a suitable format:
Using QuickTime Player Pro 7
- Download and install QuickTime Player 7 (use version 7.6.6 specifically; later versions removed the ability to change export settings)
- If you've installed Final Cut Studio 7, you should already have the Pro version. Otherwise, purchase a license.
- Launch QuickTime Player 7, open the movie, and File > Export…
- Under "Export:" choose "Movie to QuickTime Movie", and click Options…
- Under Video, click Settings and choose "H.264" or "Photo JPEG"
- Under Sound, click Settings and choose "Apple Lossless"
- Click Save
Using Apple Compressor 4
- Download and install Apple Compressor 4
- Select View > Settings
- In the bottom-left corner, click the +, and select New Setting…
- Format: QuickTime Movie
QuickTime H.264 with Lossless Audioor
QuickTime Photo JPEG with Lossless Audio
- Click OK
- Select Window > Show Inspector
- In the Video tab on the right, under the QuickTime settings section, click "Change…"
- Select Compression Type: Photo JPEG
- Choose the compression quality you'd like — it may require some trial and error to find the right balance between speed, size, and quality
- Click OK
- In the Audio tab on the right, under the QuickTime settings section, click "Change…"
- Select Format: Apple Lossless
- Click OK
- Drag your movie onto the "Add File" box
- Click Add Outputs, and select the Setting you just created
- Click Start Batch