Status: 

Vuo version: 

Fixed in Vuo version: 

OS version: 

  • Mac OS 10.10

Steps causing the bug to occur: 

  1. Add any node that looks for a serial port.

How did the result differ from what you expected?: 

I expected the USB-connected Arduino Uno's port to show up as a device.

When did you first notice this bug?: 

As soon as I tried to use serial nodes.

Have you found a workaround?: 

First, I tried using "Make Serial Device from URL" using the absolute path of the device. Then I tried changing USB ports, and when they weren't showing up either, trying "Make Serial Device from URL" for those ports as well. I've also tried installing serial drivers from Prolific, Keyspan, and every other usb-serial driver I could find, but no luck. The Arduino is definitely connected and communicating over the serial port fine.

Comments

Hi, @robaiello. Sorry I didn

smokris's picture
Submitted by
Status:
Waiting for review by Vuo Support Team
»
Waiting for more information from reporter

Hi, robaiello. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

So far we've successfully used the Arduino Diecimila on OS X v10.8 (using the FTDI VCP driver, as you noticed) and on OS X v10.10 (using the Apple drivers). According to Apple IOKit, they're registered as IORS232SerialStream devices.

  1. Could you check Console.app to see if Vuo logged any debug messages while you tried to use your Arduino Uno with Vuo?

  2. I wrote a little app to give a list of all serial devices and metadata provided by IOKit. Please extract and run the attached app, copy/paste or screenshot the results, and post it here.

Hopefully that should give us the info we need to get this fixed.

Console output:

robaiello's picture
Submitted by

Console output:

4/22/15 4:06:47.999 AM PlayMovie-n2Hg1A[29917]: VuoSerialDevice.c:158 VuoSerialDevice_realize() Warning: No serial devices found.

Here are the results from the app:

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port omit: yes type: IORS232SerialStream tty: Bluetooth-Incoming-Port vendor: (null) product: (null) serial: (null)

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem omit: yes type: IOModemSerialStream tty: Bluetooth-Modem vendor: (null) product: (null) serial: (null)

/dev/cu.usbmodem2021 type: IOModemSerialStream tty: usbmodem2021 vendor: Arduino (www.arduino.cc) product: Arduino Uno serial: 6493534333335170C181

I'm assuming the issue is that my Arduino shows up as usb modem rather than an RS232 device? Any idea how I can change that?

Thanks for your help!

I have an Ardunio Uno

robaiello's picture
Submitted by

I have an Ardunio Uno compatible device called a MicroView, I just tried that and Vuo detected it no problem. It gets mounted as usbserial device, unlike my actual Uno board. Unfortunately the shield I want to use to control my Vuo comp only works with the actual Uno board, so I guess I have to figure out how to get my Uno to be detected by osx as a usbserial device instead of a usbmodem device. Obviously, this isn't a Vuo bug, but if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Doing some more research...

robaiello's picture
Submitted by

Doing some more research... it seems "the newer Arduinos don't have FTDI devices on them... Arduinos now use an ATmega16U2 as the USB-serial IC." From the Arduino website: "...On the Mac, this should be something with /dev/tty.usbmodem (for the Uno or Mega 2560) or /dev/tty.usbserial (for older boards) in it."

I have an older Uno, which uses the ATmega8U2, so I've ordered an updated version but I'm not sure if that's going to fix the problem. Any way the serial nodes could detect usbmodem serial streams?

Once you force it does it

robaiello's picture
Submitted by

Once you force it does it show up in a list node in vuo? Or does it just work when you send a serial command from your Arduino, even though the vuo comp doesn't seem to see it? I've tried both /dev/cu.usbmodem#### and dev/tty.usbmodem#### for all of my usb ports, with two different uno boards, and I can't seem to get it to work.

@mnstri, regarding cu vs tty

smokris's picture
Submitted by

mnstri, regarding cu vs tty device files — if I understand this post correctly, it's saying that the tty device files are intended for the getty daemon to listen and wait for the modem to pick up, and that non-modem serial devices (like Arduino) should use the cu device files. (That's why Vuo's List Serial Devices node returns cu paths, and why Vuo's Send Serial Data node is tailored to work with cu.)

Thanks for everyone's input.

robaiello's picture
Submitted by

Thanks for everyone's input. I did finally get it working using the Make Serial Device from URL node pointing to my cu.usbmodem device, turns out I had a problem with my vuo comp and that's why it didn't appear to be working, but all good now!