I am the Senior AV Broadcast Technology Analyst at Loyalist College where I primarily design, install and maintain campus AV, Digital Signage and Broadcast systems and equipment. I have also do some teaching for Camera, VFX and Audio/Video editing as well; I love my job. My background includes Broadcast Television, Video Production and Technical work. My passions include traditional and digital drawing, fictional creative writing, VFX, and cinematic video projects. I have also recently rekindled my interest in robotics and have tinkered with Arduino and Raspberry Pi and a few programable robots.
I find I most comfortably find myself in the chaotic limbo between the artistically and technically creative, believing one can indeed excel at both. Which is probably why I am loving VUO! :)
I have another odd things happening with the make folder node. My composition is designed to create a new folder to save some CSV files in and depending on the Convocation Ceremony we are doing, a custom named folder is created. What’s weird is that when the composition starts a properly named folder is created along with a text file called MyDtata.txt that it shouldn't create containing the string (,””,””,,,),. Sometimes when I advance the composition to the next Ceremony it creates the proper folder (along with that same strange text file) but other times it instead creates a single text file with the proper name of what the folder should have been called and contains the string (,"","","Ceremony - Friday PM",,) if Ceremony – Friday PM is the Ceremony I switch to. Once the composition starts creating text files it no longer creates folders any more.
If you look at the attached screen shots of the composition "1) Ceremony Selector" feeds into "2) CSV File and Folder Creation" the text output of the first screenshot feeds the text input of the second screenshot to create and name a new folder depending on the Ceremony we are running.
Have you found a workaround?:
Not sure yet, I can't figure out what's happening yet. Manually create the folders I need maybe instead of having the composition create them???
OK, Magneson I just noticed the Process List can retain Font and formatting as part of the list so that's something to keep in mind in the future.
I ended up solving my issue just now by using a Select Input (Boolean) and to only passthrough the text into the Arrange Layers in Column node if text was present. This gave me the formatting control I needed and prevented empty rows from making it into the list. I'll try playing around with your method a little more once I have more time, I think using it with the Append Texts node may help me get the result I'm looking for. Thanks for your help.
Use the Process List node to collect the text into a list. As a bonus, you'll get a tidier approach to the whole comp as well :)
Thanks Magneson (Magneson) but I'm not sure I understand how that would work to use different fonts and colours for the different rows as mentioned above. In my original comp I have several sources for the text strings, I just left the Make Text Layerportion for the attached comp to simplify the example. In the original comp a barcode (data matrix) is read which generates some of the text strings used and also calls some other information from an XML file (that is provided to me) which generates the other portions of the text I need rendered. I have a subcomp I use to break the long text strings into smaller word chunks operating them into different rows. All of the sources are positioned on various layers for rendering to a window. The problem is that it will render all rows even if they contain no text so I end up with large gaps between my blocks of text. I would like to find a way to remove the empty rows from the final render.