Mmm. I don't think so, it also happened several times / every times I tried opening one of those.
However I updated to macOS 10.13 and it somehow seems fixed ! :)
(I say "seems fixed" because the first time I tried I think it happened again, moved the modules from the modules folder, relaunched, but them back there again, relaunched, and now it works). Strange, but not 100% sure.
Ah, maybe due to the fact that VDMX needs to update to the new Vuo.
Problem is in Vuo 2 you can use that 'Get Layer Bounds" node to calculate the text min & max scrolling.
In Vuo 1.2.8 it's trickier, maybe try this quick test composition joined here (where the orange nodes create a duplicate text image used to calculate the layer width depending on the window size). May need some tweaks depending on your display resolution etc.
rpacker it's somehow the same as this comment, you can edit the protocol mode from the edit menu, then, render the layers to an image for the protocol mode uses an image as an output to communicate with VDMX.