In the end I used multiple Render Layers To Window as suggested by @Bodysoulspirit. I needed the comp to split to multiple outputs. Two with the result as also shown by @Bodysoulspirit, one with a painting and a 'line picker' and one with only the 'smeared' output. This gave no flickering.
I don't know if the issue is very common, but as described, working around it gave no flickering.
I'm playing around with some sort of smear effect.
I have a base image where I pick a small width from and smear that out over another layer which moves around.
After a little while that layer starts blinking randomly. I thought about it being the picker that moves out of the to-be-picked image, but that doesn't seem the case.
What is happening here and what can I do to fix this?
This occurs on both an iMac 5K and the latest MacMini.
Jaymie (@jstrecker) , thanks for validating. Any word on a possible timeframe for a fix in the release of Vuo 1.3?
As you recommended I placed the repeating parts in a subcomposition. (Retested across systems, no change in crashes)
It made the main composition more workable, however still sluggish.
It also presented another issue:
In the subcomposition are two Smooth with Duration nodes which animate the start and end of a lineair gradient. A few seconds after starting the main composition the 'Position' of the Smooth with Duration nodes stops. (Again, it runs for the first couple of seconds) The 'Time' that is being put into the Smooth with Duration node is still running. The 'Target' is not reached and I tried it with both the 'Time' coming from within the subcomposition and from a published input port.
When running the subcomposition as a composition on its own, everything works fine.
I'm having some weird issues regarding the composition posted below.
It's developed on a MBPr mid 2012:
2,3 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
It runs oke at around 40-50 fps. (Had a couple of chrashes though when hitting 'Run' during the development.)
The composition window became really slow when the size of the composition increased, like frustrating slow.
Running both Vuo 1.2.4 and 1.2.5 I noticed no difference.